Complaints, Comments and Compliments
This page outlines how you can contact the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) to register a complaint, comment or compliment about our activities or programs.
Note: This page is not for submitting a food safety or labelling concern. If you believe a food product is a health and safety risk, or you have other questions, please refer to the Contact Us page.
The CFIA is committed to excellence in our processes and practices. We strive for continuous improvement in dealings with our regulated parties and stakeholders. We are committed to providing quality service that is consistent, professional, timely and fair, based on the CFIA's Statement of Rights and Service for Producers, Consumers and Other Stakeholders.
Your feedback helps us to review and improve our services. When you contact us, you can expect that we will work with you in a timely, impartial and professional manner.
Complaints and appeals
Complaints and appeals are generally related to quality of service, administrative errors or regulatory decisions made by CFIA employees.
Complaints and appeals can be made:
- when you are not satisfied with CFIA employees' approach;
- when you perceive undue delays; and
- when you disagree with decisions made by CFIA employees related to licensing, registration, permits, orders, inspection results, seizure, labelling and other items.
The CFIA takes complaints and appeals very seriously, so these are handled in an efficient and transparent manner.
The CFIA uses an incremental process to manage complaints and appeals. To make a complaint or an appeal, follow these steps.
- Speak to the CFIA employee involved regarding the matter. Try to resolve the matter with this employee.
- If you are not satisfied with the response from Step 1, speak to the employee's supervisor (at the manager or director level) about how to resolve the matter.
- If you are still not satisfied after following Steps 1 and 2, submit a formal complaint in writing to the Complaints and Appeals Office by completing the Complaints section of the Complaints, Comments and Compliments form. Once received, the Complaints and Appeals Office will start an impartial and transparent review of the matter.
- To help us understand your concern and to avoid delays, we strongly recommend that you
- contact us in writing by completing the form carefully, and
- attach any supporting documents that you think may be helpful to us when reviewing your complaint.
- When we receive your completed form, we will contact you (either by phone or email) within two business days to give you a file number, acknowledge receipt of your information, and inform you about the process.
Comments and compliments
We would also like to hear your feedback, suggestions or ideas about our service or how to improve our service. This could include letting us know when you believe CFIA staff have provided a good service. Your feedback helps us identify areas where we can improve our programs and services.
You can submit your feedback by completing the Comments and Compliments section of the Complaints, Comments and Compliments form.
When we receive your completed form, we may contact you (either by phone or email) to acknowledge receipt of your comment and to ask you questions to better understand your feedback.
Phone lines are open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Eastern Time,
Monday to Friday.
Canadian Food Inspection Agency
c/o Complaints and Appeals Office
59 Camelot Dr., 59-1W-334
Privacy of your information
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is committed to protecting the privacy rights of individuals, including safeguarding the confidentiality of information provided by individuals and institutions.
Submission of your personal information constitutes your consent to the collection, use, storage, and disclosure of your personal information by the CFIA according to the following parameters.
This information is being collected and used under this Agency's legislative authority for the purpose of addressing complaints, comments and compliments relating to service delivery and regulatory decisions taken pursuant to the legislation administered and/or enforced by the Agency as per section 11 of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency Act. This information will be retained for a period of five (5) years after last use in accordance with the Agency's retention and disposition policies.
The personal information collected for the Complaint Review appears in Personal Information Bank 902 / 943 for the CFIA, which is described within InfoSource.
Personal information collected by CFIA and the Government of Canada is protected from disclosure to unauthorized persons and/or agencies pursuant to the provisions of the Privacy Act. Individuals to whom the personal information pertains have the right to the protection of and access to their personal information under the Privacy Act, subject to certain exceptions and exemptions.
For inquiries concerning the treatment of personal information in the custody of CFIA, individuals may contact Complaints and Appeals Office by email at email@example.com.
Alternatively, individuals may contact the CFIA's Access to Information and Privacy Office to access their personal information pursuant to the provisions of the Privacy and Access to Information Acts.
Canadian Food Inspection Agency
c/o Access to Information Office
1400 Merivale Rd., Tower 1, Room 0-149
- Date modified: