Collective Agreement between the Canadian Food Inspection Agency and the Public Service Alliance of Canada (PSAC) regarding the Public Service Alliance of Canada (PSAC) Bargaining Unit
* Article 53 – Education Leave Without Pay, Career Development Leave with Pay and Examination Leave with Pay
Education Leave Without Pay
* 53.01 The Employer recognizes the usefulness of education leave. Upon written application by the employee and with the approval of the Employer, an employee may be granted education leave without pay for varying periods of up to one (1) year, which can be renewed by mutual agreement, to attend a recognized institution for studies in some field of education in which preparation is needed to fill the employee's present role more adequately or to undertake studies in some field in order to provide a service which the Employer requires or is planning to provide.
* 53.02 At the Employer's discretion, an employee on education leave without pay under this article may receive an allowance in lieu of salary of up to one hundred percent (100%) of the employee's annual rate of pay, depending on the degree to which the education leave is deemed, by the Employer, to be relevant to organizational requirements. Where the employee receives a grant, bursary or scholarship, the education leave allowance may be reduced. In such cases, the amount of the reduction shall not exceed the amount of the grant, bursary or scholarship.
* 53.03 Allowances already being received by the employee may at the discretion of the Employer be continued during the period of the education leave. The employee shall be notified when the leave is approved whether such allowances are to be continued in whole or in part.
* 53.04 As a condition of the granting of education leave without pay, an employee shall, if required, give a written undertaking prior to the commencement of the leave to return to the service of the Employer for a period of not less than the period of the leave granted.
If the employee:
- fails to complete the course;
- does not resume employment with the Employer on completion of the course;
- ceases to be employed, except by reason of death or lay-off, before termination of the period he or she has undertaken to serve after completion of the course;
the employee shall repay the Employer all allowances paid to him or her under this Article during the education leave or such lesser sum as shall be determined by the Employer.
Career Development Leave With Pay
- Career development refers to an activity which in the opinion of the Employer is likely to be of assistance to the individual in furthering his or her career development and to the organization in achieving its goals. The following activities shall be deemed to be part of career development:
- a course given by the Employer;
- a course offered by a recognized academic institution;
- a seminar, convention or study session in a specialized field directly related to the employee's work.
- * Upon written application by the employee, and with the approval of the Employer, career development leave with pay may be given for any one of the activities described in sub-clause 53.05(a) above. The employee shall receive no compensation under Article 27 (Overtime) and Article 33 (Travelling Time) of this collective agreement during time spent on career development leave provided for in this clause.
- Employees on career development leave shall be reimbursed for all reasonable travel and other expenses incurred by them which the Employer may deem appropriate.
Examination Leave With Pay
* 53.06 At the Employer's discretion, examination leave with pay may be granted to an employee for the purpose of writing an examination which takes place during the employee's scheduled hours of work. Such leave will only be granted where, in the opinion of the Employer, the course of study is directly related to the employee's duties or will improve his or her qualifications.
- Date modified: