Equine infectious anemia
Equine infectious anemia (EIA) is an infectious and potentially fatal viral disease affecting the immune system of members of the Equidae family, including horses, donkeys and mules. Most EIA-infected horses show no clinical signs of disease; however, they remain carriers of the virus for life and can be a source of infection for susceptible animals.
In Canada, EIA is listed as a reportable disease under the Health of Animals Act. Accordingly, when EIA is suspected, it must be reported to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA).
What information is available?
- Control Program
- Fact Sheet
- If your animals may be infected
- Premises affected by EIA in 2011
- Premises affected by EIA in 2012
- Premises affected by EIA in 2013
- Premises affected by EIA in 2014
- Premises affected by EIA in 2015
- Premises affected by EIA in 2016
- Date modified: