Procedures and Requirements for Horses Imported into Canada from Countries with Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD)
The following additional procedures apply to horses being imported into Canada from countries with FMD. All existing import requirements for horses from those countries must also be met.These requirements can be found on our website:
Please note that these additional measures are not required for horses that enter Canada via the US because the US is employing similar measures for all horses imported from countries with FMD.
The following activities must be performed under CFIA supervision.
- Horses from countries where FMD exists, and horses in contact with horses from these countries, are required, on arrival, to be sprayed and/or sponged down with an approved disinfectant.
- The horses' hooves are required to be cleaned and disinfected, on arrival, with an approved disinfectant.
- Footwear of personnel accompanying the horse/s will be disinfected on arrival.
- Tack and accompanying equipment shall be inspected and disinfected, either on arrival or, if sent under seal and licence, at the pre-approved quarantine premises as a precautionary measure against the introduction of foot and mouth disease. Accompanying equipment will be disinfected with an approved disinfectant.
- The carrier and/or broker also shall make arrangements to dispose of excess feed, hay and straw, and manure aboard the aircraft. These materials may be placed in bags for incineration.
- The horse/s must not be allowed to come into contact with any other animals during the quarantine period.
- Crates and transportation vehicles will be cleaned and disinfected with an approved. disinfectant before leaving the quarantine site.
- The carrier, broker, agent, or owner is required to provide for cleaning and disinfection of transport vehicles.
Approved disinfectants include:
Virkon© (powder) is an oxidising agent and an excellent disinfectant active against all virus families. The recommended dilution rate is 20g/litre, with a contact time of 10 minutes.
Citric acid (powder) is an acid based disinfectant that is safe for clothes and body decontamination. Especially useful for FMD virus decontamination. The recommended dilution rate is 2g/litre, with a contact time of 30 minutes.
Diluted vinegar can also be used (a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water).
- Date modified: