Terrestrial Animal Health - Imports
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has prepared basic guidelines for importing or travelling with pets.
Travellers are required, by law, to declare all plant, animal, and food items they bring into Canada. For more information visit What Can I Bring Into Canada?
The Health of Animals Act and Regulations provide the legislative and regulatory authority for the animal health import program, which includes live animals, animal products and by-products, semen and embryos.
- Import Policies - Animal Products and By-Products
- Import Policies - General
- Import Policies - Live Animals
- Import Policies - Pet Food
- Import Policies - Semen and Embryos
Import requirements are based on the disease status of where a shipment originated. The evaluation of a country, or a region(s) or zone(s) within a country is reviewed by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) on a case-by-case basis.
- Diseases of concern for international trade in animals, animal products and by-products
- Country animal health status as evaluated by Canada
Some animals and products must also meet the requirements of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES).
Advance notice needed for CFIA inspections of live animals at border ports of entry
Some animals, including livestock, require inspection by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) at border ports of entry. In most cases, this inspection must be completed by a CFIA veterinarian at the first point of arrival in Canada. If a CFIA inspection is required, this is indicated in the Automated Import Reference System (AIRS). It is the importers responsibility to arrange an appointment for an inspection at least 24 hours prior to the expected arrival of the animal at the port of entry. This ensures a veterinarian is available for the inspection and minimizes delays.
For further information, please contact your local CFIA office.
Additional import information
- Animal Health Status By Country
- Animal Health Status By Disease
- Application for Permit to Import
- Automated Import Reference System
Programs and services for commercial importers
- Date modified: