Livestock Identification and Traceability
Traceability is the ability to follow an item or a group of items - be it animal, plant, food product or ingredient - from one point in the supply chain to another, either backwards or forwards. Livestock traceability systems are based upon three basic elements: animal identification; premises identification; and animal movement.
Traceability systems are important, effective tools that can be used for many things, including the protection of animal health, public health and food safety. They can help reduce response time, thereby limiting economic, environmental and social impacts of emergency situations such as disease outbreaks.
Identification and movement reporting requirements for cattle, bison,sheep and pigs apply under the Health of Animals Regulations.
What information is available?
- General description of regulatory requirements for:
- Livestock producers
- Intermediate Sites: Tagging Sites, Auctions, Feedlots and Assembly Yards (e.g. auction, assembly yard, feedlot, fair, rodeo, test station)
- Operators of Abattoirs, Rendering Plants and Dead Stock Collection Centres (e.g. abattoir, rendering plant, dead stock collection centre)
- Exporters and Importers of Live Animals
- Livestock Carriers
- List of approved indicators
- List of Responsible Administrators
News Releases / Consultations
- Consultations on multi-species traceability
- 2015-03-09 – Notice to Industry: Mandatory identification and reporting requirements for pigs and farmed wild boars
- 2014-07-02 – Notice to Industry: Pig Identification Mandatory on July 1, 2014
- Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada traceability information
- Agri-Traçabilité Québec
- Canadian Cattle Identification Agency
- Canadian Sheep Federation - Identification Program
- Canadian goat identification program
- National Livestock Identification for Dairy
- Privacy Impact Assessment of Part XV (Animal Identification) of the Health of Animals Regulations (Library and Archives Canada)
- Government of Quebec traceability program (French only)
- Government of Alberta traceability initiative
- Provincial Premises Registry (Ontario)
- Date modified: