Application for a Permit - PDF (770 kb)- if you have Adobe Acrobat Reader, you can download the application form and print it. To get Adobe Acrobat Reader, download it from Adobe's website. Before downloading the application for an Import Permit, please read the instructions under "How to fill out an Application for Permit to Import" to ensure that you have all the pertinent information.
The Application for Permit to Import is completed by the importer. Prior to completing the application, the importer should ensure that a permit is required for the commodity(ies) being imported. Please verify with the Import Office in the province you reside in or into which you will be importing the commodity(ies). Please refer to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) List of Offices across Canada.
The completed application is faxed or mailed with payment to the Import Office in the province you reside in or into which you will be importing the commodity(ies).
You will be contacted by the Import Office within three (3) days of receipt of the application form with information on how to proceed.
- The Validation of an Animal Health Import Permit Prior to Importation of Animal Products or By-Products
How to fill out an Application for Permit to Import
Please refer to the following applicable addendum of the Application for specifics on completion and applicable fees:
- Import Samples of Animal Products and By-Products - PDF (115 kb)
- Import Commercial Shipments of Animal Products and By-Products - PDF (115 kb)
- Import Products of Rendering Plants - PDF (115 kb)
- Import Animal Embryos - PDF (62 kb)
- Import Live Animals (including Hatching Eggs) - PDF (15 kb)
- Import Animal Semen - PDF (60 kb)
NOTE: The import of animals, semen, embryos, products and by-products may also be subject to other Acts and Regulations within the CFIA. Also, other departments such as Environment Canada, Health Canada and provincial governments may have requirements in addition to the CFIA.
- Date modified: