Document Procedures for the National Import Service Centre (NISC)
This page is part of the Guidance Document Repository (GDR).
Looking for related documents?
Search for related documents in the Guidance Document Repository
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is reminding brokers/importers to adhere to the following guidelines when submitting documentation to the CFIA's National Import Service Centre (NISC).
Import-related documents should be faxed only once to the NISC, along with the transmission of your Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) submission. Please refrain from re-faxing documents unless directed to do so by the NISC. All faxes are now to be sent to the new centralized fax number at 1-613-773-9999. Refer to Procedures for Faxing documents for more information.
When using the Request for Documentation Review (CFIA/ACIA 5272):
- Use this form as the first document of a fax submission. Do not use your company fax cover page.
- Use the current version of the form.
- Ensure all information on the form is typed.
- Do not provide a bar code and/or a label transaction code on the form.
- Be sure to include the transaction number on the form.
- Do not affix any labels or stickers to the form.
- Should a single fax contain multiple requests, please ensure form 5272 separates each request.
The CFIA is committed to maintaining established service standards with minimal disruption to clients. In order to ensure operations continue as smoothly as possible the CFIA is asking that all importers follow these guidelines.
The National Import Service Centre processes import request documentation / data sent by the importing community across Canada and provides frontline screening to ensure that imported products meet Canadian requirements. Regulatory compliance and the safety of food and agricultural commodities imported into Canada are a priority for the CFIA.
National Import Service Centre
7:00 a.m. to 03:00 a.m. (Eastern Time)
Telephone and EDI: 1-800-835-4486 (Canada or U.S.A.)
1-289-247-4099 (local calls and all other countries)
Originally issued March 16, 2012 (Notice to Industry)
- Date modified: