Labelling Requirements for Foods for Special Dietary Use
This page is part of the Guidance Document Repository (GDR).
Looking for related documents?
Search for related documents in the Guidance Document Repository
The compositional requirements for a nutritional supplement (definition) are set out in B.24.201 of the FDR. Requirements differ depending on the Calories per serving provided by the nutritional supplement.
- When a nutritional supplement contains less than 225 Calories per serving, requirements include a minimum food energy content of 150 Calories per serving, a specified amount and quality of protein and a specified amount of various vitamins and mineral nutrients.
- When a nutritional supplement provides 225 or more Calories, requirements include a specified amount and quality of protein, a maximum amount of fat, and a specified amount of various vitamins and mineral nutrients.
For complete compositional requirements, refer to B.24.201 of the FDR. [B.24.201, FDR].
Nutrient Content Statement - Nutritional Supplements
Nutritional supplements to which milk, partially skim milk or skim milk is to be added, must carry a statement that the nutrient content of the food has been determined taking into consideration the milk, partially skim milk or skim milk that is to be added according to the directions of use. [B.24.202, FDR].
Nutrient Content Declaration - Nutritional Supplements
The label of nutritional supplements must have a statement indicating per serving of stated size and per stated quantity of food, when prepared according the direction of use:
- the content of protein, fat, linoleic acid, n-3 linolenic acid, saturated fatty acid and carbohydrate, in grams;
- the energy value in Calories and kilojoules;
- the amount of vitamins and mineral nutrients listed in B.24.202 (a)(iii), (iv) & (v) of the FDR in their specified measurements. [B.24.202, FDR].
Voluntary Claims and Statements - Nutritional Supplements
As there is no reference amount for nutritional supplements, the criteria for making nutrient content claims and health claims on these foods can be based on the serving size of the product only.
- Date modified: