Food Labelling Modernization Initiative
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA), is continually evolving to meet the challenges of a complex and ever-changing food safety environment and responsibilities—an environment that promotes food safety, consumer protection and a fair and secure marketplace. Other government organizations are also modernizing in this area, including Health Canada which shares food labelling responsibility with the CFIA.
The objective of the Food Labelling Modernization initiative is to develop a more modern food labelling system that responds to current and future challenges. We want your input so that we can get a balance of views from all stakeholders on our food labelling system. This will help us to do the following:
- improve access to information about food labelling to increase awareness, to help consumers to make informed decisions about the food they buy for themselves and their families,
- protect Canadians, while enhancing opportunities for industry to be competitive, and
- respond more effectively to consumer, industry and government needs in the area of food labelling that is specific to the CFIA mandate.
The CFIA is committed to strengthening Canada's world-class food safety system, including consumer protection. This commitment was reinforced by the passage of the Safe Food for Canadians Act. The Act sets the stage for modernizing Canada's system on food safety and consumer protection, which are key parts of the CFIA's change agenda responsibilities.
- About the Food Labelling Modernization Initiative
- Consultations and discussion paper
- Questions and answers
- Safe Food for Canadians Action Plan
- Date modified: