IMFP National Sampling Plans & Assessment Criteria 2014-2015
Section 1: General Notes
This page is part of the Guidance Document Repository (GDR).
Looking for related documents?
Search for related documents in the Guidance Document Repository
This page has been archived
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or record-keeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
- Samples may be taken at the inspector's discretion to verify inspection observations.
- Randomly select samples to ensure the samples are representative of the entire lot. All sample plans are directed unless otherwise indicated.
- Select consumer-sized packages as sub-samples where possible.
- Ship samples under the conditions that they would normally be stored (e.g. frozen products shipped frozen, refrigerated products shipped refrigerated, room temperature shelf stable products shipped at room temperature, etc.). Upon arrival at the laboratory, frozen samples should be frozen and refrigerated samples should not exceed 7°C.
- Use aseptic sampling techniques if sampling from bulk product.
- Directed samples are ones taken during an inspection to verify inspection observations. Indicate directed samples with a "D" at the end of the sampling code (e.g. 2014_FS402D).
- Follow-up samples are ones taken after an unsatisfactory result for a directed sample. Indicate follow-up samples with an "F" at the end of the sampling code (e.g. 2014_FS402F).
- Forward laboratory samples to the attention of the contact person specified in the FEN0 and Food Safety Laboratory Contact List (RDIMS# 2723751) (For internal use only) according to sample and destination.
- All sample submission forms can be accessed through LSTS user services (For internal use only).
- It is important to remember that sample assessment is not directly related to compliance; in that assessment results do not convey whether legal or regulatory requirements have been respected.
- For more information on products regulated by the IMFP, consult Products Regulated under the Imported and Manufactured Food Program (RDIMS# 2580416) (For internal use only).
- Date modified: