Canada - Costa Rica Organic Equivalency Recognition – Guidance Document for Canadian Importers and Exporters
This page is part of the Guidance Document Repository (GDR).
Looking for related documents?
Search for related documents in the Guidance Document Repository
Requirements for Canadian organic agricultural products for export to Costa Rica
On March 28, 2013 , the Government of Canada entered into an agreement on the trade of organic products with the Costa Rica.
Pursuant the national legislation of Costa Rica, the National Phytosanitary Service (SFE) has determined that the Canadian organic agricultural products which are:
- produced and certified in Canada;
- are in conformity with the Organic Products Regulations, 2009 (OPR 2009) and;
- are certified by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) accredited Certification Body under the Canada Organic Regime;
are deemed to have been produced and certified in accordance to Costa Rica's national law governing the organic agriculture regime.
Organic products exported from Canada for import to Costa Rica under this recognition may bear the Canada Organic Logo and/or Costa Rica's organic seal as spelled out in the letter of equivalence recognition.
Organic products must be accompanied by an organic certificate issued by CFIA accredited Certification Body.
All organic products imported in to Costa Rica must meet Costa Rica's food safety and labelling requirements.
Requirements for Costa Rica organic agricultural products for export to Canada
Pursuant to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency Act and the Canada Agricultural Products Act, the CFIA has determined that the agricultural products of plant origin which are:
- produced and processed in Costa Rica;
- are in conformity with the National Organic Production Regulations of Costa Rica and;
- are produced and processed under an organic certification program that provides safeguards and guidelines governing the production and processing of such products;
are deemed equivalent to those products that have been produced and processed in accordance with the Canadian Organic Products Regulations, 2009 (OPR, 2009)
Organic products exported from Costa Rica for import to Canada under this recognition may bear the Canada Organic Logo and/or Costa Rica's organic seal as spelled out in the letter of equivalence recognition.
Organic products must be accompanied by an organic certificate issued by Costa Rican accredited Certification Body - Spanish only.
Organic products imported into Canada must meet Canadian food safety and labelling requirements.
- Date modified: