National Import Service Centre
As part of its commitment to improving service for clients, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA), in cooperation with the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA), operates the National Import Service Centre (NISC).
What is the CFIA National Import Service Centre?
The National Import Service Centre processes import request documentation / data sent by the importing community across Canada. Staff review the information and return the decision electronically to the CBSA, which then relays it to the client or the broker/importer.
In addition, NISC staff handle telephone inquiries regarding import requirements for all commodities regulated by the CFIA and, when necessary, coordinate inspections for import shipments.
7:00 a.m. to 3:00 a.m. (Eastern Time)
Telephone and EDI: 1-800-835-4486 (Canada or U.S.A.)
1-289-247-4099 (local calls and all other countries)
- Notice to industry (2019-03-29) – Reminder: It's time to start using the integrated import declaration
- Notice to industry (2019-03-28) – Testing and certification for the Integrated Import Declaration (IID)
- Notice to industry (2019-01-07) – Service change for commercial importers or brokers who declare CFIA regulated imports to the CBSA
- Declaring CFIA regulated goods as Canadian Goods Returning
- Fact sheet: Single Window Initiative - Integrated Import Declaration
CFIA programs and services
- Automated Import Reference System (AIRS)
- Automated Shipment Inspection Status Search Tool (ASISST)
- AIRS Verification Service
Important notice: Declaring imports to the CBSA
Those who declare imports electronically to the CBSA should have completed testing and became certified to transmit their import declarations through the Integrated Import Declaration (IID) by January 1, 2019. If you have not already, learn how to become certified today.
- Date modified: