Greenhouse Vegetable Sector Biosecurity Guide
How to Use this Guide
i) Organization of this Guide
This Guide has been organized into the following three main sections:
- Plant Health Management
- Place of Production Operational Management
- Education, Training and Communication
These main sections are divided into sub-sections that include the:
- Target outcome – Goals that all producers should try to achieve to protect their place of production from the introduction and spread of pests. These are taken from the Standard.
- Benefits – Details regarding why a specific target outcome is important to on-farm biosecurity.
- Risks – Biosecurity considerations that provide examples and guidance based on the suggested risk pathways.
- Self-assessment checklist – A tool provided to help producers determine if additional biosecurity measures can be applied to a place of production. A checklist has been provided at the end of each sub-section.
A glossary of definitions has also been provided at the end of this Guide. Terms that are included in the glossary have been written in bold and italic text in their first use in the document.
Appendices located at the end of this Guide provide producers with examples of tools that can be used to implement biosecurity measures in a place of production, such as signs and a visitor sign-in sheet.
Appendix 6 is an acknowledgement of the sector and producer organizations, producers, academia, and federal and provincial specialists whose expertise was used to develop this Guide.
ii) How to Complete the Self-Assessment Checklists
The self-assessment checklists have been provided to assist producers in assessing if additional biosecurity measures can be implemented in a place of production. There are four columns included in the checklist to indicate:
- Yes – Biosecurity measure is implemented and does not require further action.
- Sometimes – Biosecurity measure is not always successfully implemented and may require additional action.
- No – Biosecurity measure is not implemented and requires action.
- Not applicable (NA) – Biosecurity measure does not apply to a place of production and no action is required.
iii) Self-Assessment Checklist and Action Work Plan PDF Document
The Greenhouse Vegetable Sector Biosecurity Guide Self-Assessment Checklist and Action Work Plan is a list of the biosecurity measures from the self-evaluation checklists included in each sub-section with the same four columns as explained above. This tool also includes an action work plan where actions to complete the implementation of additional biosecurity measures within a place of production can be recorded. When completed electronically, the biosecurity measures that "No" and "Sometimes" have been selected are automatically transferred to the action work plan. This tool can be downloaded from the forms catalogue on the Canadian Food Inspection Agency's (CFIA) website. In the "Filter items" search field, type "5784" to obtain the form.
- Date modified: