Agrilus planipennis – Emerald Ash Borer
The emerald ash borer attacks and kills all species of ash, except mountain ash which is not a true ash. With artificial spread, where people move infested ash materials and firewood to new areas, this insect can quickly spread to other areas of Canada.
Federal regulatory measures prohibit the movement of specific materials including any ash material and firewood of all species from specific areas of Ontario and Quebec. Anyone violating these restrictions is subject to a fine and/or prosecution.
Slowing the spread of emerald ash borer will protect Canada's environment and forest resources. It also helps keep international markets open to the forest industry and nurseries in non-regulated parts of Ontario and Quebec and in the rest of Canada.
What information is available?
Help slow the spread of the emerald ash borer in Canada.
- Don't Move Firewood
- How to identify the presence of EAB: Signs and Symptoms
- Questions and answers
- Pest fact sheet
- Pest alert
- Recommended Alternatives to Ash Trees
For more information on the emerald ash borer, please call 1-866-463-6017.
- Canadian Wood Packaging Import Requirements
- Plant Protection Policy Documents
- RMD-13-01: Regulated Areas for Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) (Agrilus planipennis Fairmaire)
- D-08-04: Plant Protection Import Requirements for Plants and Plant Parts for Planting: Preventing the Entry and Spread of Regulated Plant Pests Associated with the Plants for Planting Pathway
- D-03-08: Phytosanitary Requirements to prevent the introduction into and spread within Canada of the Emerald Ash Borer
- D-02-12: Import requirements of non-manufactured wood and other non-propagative wood products, except solid wood packaging material, from all areas other than the continental United States
- D-01-12: Phytosanitary Requirements for the Importation and Domestic Movement of Firewood
- D-98-08: Entry Requirements for Wood Packaging Materials Produced in All Areas Other Than the Continental United States
- Emerald Ash Borer Approved Facilities Compliance Program
- Approved facilities
- QSM-07: Quality Management System Manual for Facilities Registered in the Emerald Ash Borer Approved Facility Compliance Program (EABAFCP)
- QSM-08: Quality Management System Manual for Canadian Food Inspection Agency Auditors to Administer the Emerald Ash Borer Approved Facility Compliance Program (EABAFCP)
- Emerald ash borer info
- Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources
- United States Department of Agriculture (USDA): Animal Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS)
- Date modified: