This page is part of the Guidance Document Repository (GDR).
Looking for related documents?
Search for related documents in the Guidance Document Repository
Click on Image for Larger View
- Origin & Breeding: bred from the cross (AC83172-1RU x CO86030-1RU) made by the Colorado State University, San Luis Valley Research Center (USA ) and Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Lethbridge Research Center, Alberta, in 1992.
- Year registered in Canada: 2007
- Registration number: 6234
- Maturity: mid-season
- Plants: medium size, semi-erect, compact; thick stems weakly pigmented at the base; straight single wings; nodes swollen.
- Leaves: dark green, semi-open; midribs weakly pigmented at base of lateral leaflets, petioles weakly pigmented.
Terminal leaflets: medium ovate; tip cuspidate; base cordate; moderately wavy margins.
Primary leaflets: four pairs; medium ovate; tip cuspidate; base cordate; moderately wavy margins.
Secondary leaflets: few.
- Flowers: medium profusion; large, red-violet and strongly pigmented corolla; slightly prominent star; lemon yellow anthers; flower buds strongly pigmented; long sepals; peduncles weakly pigmented.
- Tubers: large; oblong to long; russetted brown skin; shallow eyes, evenly distributed; non prominent eyebrows; cream coloured flesh.
- Sprouts: broad cylindrical; blue-violet; strongly pubescent; base strongly pigmented; tip weakly pigmented.
High yielding variety of attractive appearance; medium number of tubers per plant. Rather good resistance to external and internal defects. Medium dormancy period; good storage capability; medium to high specific gravity.
Alta Crown gives its best performance under irrigated conditions; optimum spacing is at 30 cm (12 in).
- Utilization: low boiling sloughing and no after cooking discoloration. Very good for boiling and baking; excellent for french frying.
- Chief Markets: french fries and fresh market.
Reaction to Diseases
Highly resistant: common scab.
Moderately resistant: early blight, tubers late blight.
Susceptible: leaf late blight.
Send us your comments regarding potato variety descriptions.
- Date modified: