This page is part of the Guidance Document Repository (GDR).
Looking for related documents?
Search for related documents in the Guidance Document Repository
Click on Image for Larger View
- Origin & Breeding: bred by the USDA in Aberdeen, Idaho, from the cross (A492-2 x Norgold Russet), in 1963.
- Year registered in Canada: 1992
- Registration number.: 3638
- Maturity: medium late
- Plants: medium sized, erect to spreading; stems green with light red-purple mottling; wings moderately prominent; nodes not swollen.
- Leaves: medium green, open, moderately pubescent; midribs slightly pigmented on top, moderately pubescent.
Terminal leaflets: oval; acuminate tip; base lobed, usually symmetrical.
Primary leaflets: three to four pairs, oblong, fairly symmetrical.
Secondary and tertiary leaflets: numerous.
- Flowers: numerous, blooms early and for a long period; light mauve corolla with white tips; yellow-orange anthers; buds green with red-purple traces; calyx often red-purple at base, moderately pubescent.
- Tubers: long, ends rounded, smooth; tannish brown skin, medium light russet with fine pattern; shallow eyes, evenly distributed, becoming pink when exposed to light; white flesh.
- Sprouts: conical; base very weakly red-purple coloured, strongly pubescent; apex not pigmented, very strongly pubescent; semi-open habit.
High yielding variety; tubers detach easily from stolons; resistant to hollow heart; very resistant to injuries due to the herbicide metribuzin; fair storability, medium dormancy period; high specific gravity.
- Utilization: good for boiling and baking; good for french frying but sugars develop during storage producing dark colour.
- Chief Markets: count carton trade as a baker, processing.
Reaction to Diseases
Resistant: late blight (field resistant), common scab, tuber net necrosis caused by leaf roll.
Highly resistant: PVX.
Moderately resistant: early blight on tuber.
Moderately susceptible: fusarium dry rot, verticillium wilt, early blight on foliage, PVY.
Susceptible: leaf roll, blackleg.
References: 1, 6.
Send us your comments regarding potato variety descriptions.
- Date modified: