This page is part of the Guidance Document Repository (GDR).
Looking for related documents?
Search for related documents in the Guidance Document Repository
Click on Image for Larger View
- Origin & Breeding: bred from the cross (Urgenta x Depesche) made by ZPC in Leeuwarden, The Netherlands, in 1951.
- Year registered in Canada: 1994
- Registration number: 3973
- Maturity: mid-season to late.
- Plants: low to medium height, semi-erect to spreading, vigorous; stems are thick, unbranched and bent at the nodes; nodes and internodes are red-purple; wings are large, straight and pigmented.
- Leaves: matt grey-green, open, moderately long, rigid; midribs and petioles wholly coloured red-purple except green on the undersides.
Primary leaflets: oval with long tips; midribs and petiolules pigmented.
Secondary leaflets: few and cordate.
- Flowers: numerous; large pink corolla with white tips and greenish white star; long reddish peduncles.
- Tubers: long to oval, medium to large; smooth red skin; medium-deep to shallow eyes; pale yellow flesh.
- Sprouts: cylindrical, very pubescent; base pink, strongly pigmented; apex slightly pigmented.
High yielding variety, uniform in grading; tubers can become irregular under heavy soil and high moisture conditions; good resistance to growth cracks, hollow heart, internal and external bruising, and drought; rather short dormancy period; good storability; medium specific gravity.
- Utilization: good for boiling; suitable for frying and chipping.
- Chief Markets: fresh market, seed export.
Reaction to Diseases
Immune: potato wart (race 1).
Resistant: skin spot.
Good resistance: PVY, tuber late blight, blackleg.
Moderately resistant: PVA, PVX, fusarium dry rot.
Moderately susceptible: leaf late blight, leaf roll.
Susceptible: common scab.
References: 1, 4, 7.
Send us your comments regarding potato variety descriptions.
- Date modified: