Click on Image for Larger View
- Origin & Breeding: bred by C. Meyer B.V. from the cross (Cardinal x SVP (VTN)2 62-33-3) in Kruiningen (Holland).
- Year registered in Canada: 1998
- Registration number: 4703
- Maturity: medium late
- Plants: tall, spreading; medium number of fine stems, very branching and strongly pigmented; wings prominent, waved double; moderately swollen nodes, weakly to not pigmented.
- Leaves: dark green, open, pubescent; midribs and petioles weakly pigmented.
Terminal leaflets: medium ovate; apex acuminate; base cordate and asymmetrical; medium wavy margins.
Primary leaflets: four pairs; small, medium to broadly ovate; apex acuminate; base cordate and slightly asymmetrical.
Secondary leaflets: numerous.
- Flowers: numerous, small mauve corolla, very prominent star; bright yellow anthers; flower buds not pigmented; peduncles moderately pigmented; few to no berry production.
- Tubers: round; flaky red skin; shallow eyes, moderately numerous and evenly distributed; moderately prominent eyebrows; cream to light yellow flesh.
- Sprouts: ovoid, violet, moderately pigmented, moderately pubescent.
High yielding variety of attractive appearance, very uniform in size; rather susceptible to internal bruising. Short dormancy period; very high dry matter.
Remark: some mutants with white blooms and white tubers have been observed.
- Utilization: good tasting variety; very few to no discolouration after cooking; good for boiling and baking; very good for chipping.
- Chief Markets: seed export, chipping.
REACTION TO DISEASES
Resistant: PVA, PVX, pathotype A of potato cyst nematode.
Good resistance: PVY.
Moderately resistant: leaf roll, common scab, tuber blight.
Moderately susceptible: blackleg, powdery scab.
Highly susceptible: leaf blight.
References: 1, 3, 7.
Send us your comments regarding potato variety descriptions.
- Date modified: