Click on Image for Larger View
- Origin & Breeding: discovered and tested by William Bilozir at the Highwood Springs Farm in Dewinton, Alberta, in 1996.
- Year registered in Canada: 2001
- Registration numéro: 5290
- Maturity: late season
- Plants: medium size, vigorous, erect; stems medium thick, strongly pigmented; single straight wings, slightly prominent; nodes not swollen, strongly pigmented.
- Leaves: dark green, moderately open; petioles and midribs are strongly pigmented.
Terminal leaflets: narrowly ovate; tip acuminate; base cordate and asymmetrical.
Primary leaflets: five pairs; narrowly ovate; tip acuminate; base cordate and asymmetrical.
Secondary and tertiary leaflets: numerous.
- Flowers: numerous; medium sized blue corolla; star moderately prominent; orange anthers; peduncle strongly pigmented; very high berry production.
- Tubers: oblong; smooth dark purple with scattered tan skin; shallow eyes, evenly distributed; prominent eyebrows; blue-purple flesh with some white and pink.
- Sprouts: ovoid; weakly pubescent; very strong blue-violet pigmentation; apex open.
Vigorous growth habit. Excellent keeping characteristics (over 9 months), tolerant to low storage temperature (2°C). No evidence of necrosis or storage discolouration. Resistant to hollow heart. Medium specific gravity. Long dormancy period.
Distinctive colour and flavour. Excellent "buttery" texture and "nutty" flavour. Flesh coloration changes from dark-violet to medium blue after cooking; high after boiling sloughing.
- Utilization: good for boiling and baking.
- Chief Market: fresh market.
REACTION TO DISEASES
The reaction to diseases of this variety are unknown for the moment.
Send us your comments regarding potato variety descriptions.
- Date modified: