This page is part of the Guidance Document Repository (GDR).
Looking for related documents?
Search for related documents in the Guidance Document Repository
Click on Image for Larger View
- Origin & Breeding: bred from the cross (Krantz x Delta Gold) made by the Texas Potato Variety Development Program of the Texas Agricultural Experiment Station in 1991; released in 2003.
- Year registered in Canada: 2010
- Registration number: 6767
- Maturity: mid-season
- Plants: medium-tall, semi-erect; stems weakly pigmented; waved single wings; nodes not swollen, not pigmented.
- Leaves: yellowish green; semi-open; midribs and petioles not or very weakly pigmented.
Terminal leaflets: medium ovate; tip acuminate; base obtuse and asymmetrical; very weakly wavy margins.
Primary leaflets: five pairs; narrowly ovate; tip acute to acuminate; base cordate and asymmetrical.
- Flowers: numerous; red-violet corolla, moderately pigmented; orange anthers; flower buds strongly pigmented; calyxes moderately pigmented; peduncles weakly to moderately pigmented.
- Tubers: round to oval, slightly flattened; buff-brown russetted skin; shallow to moderately deep eyes, predominantly apical; slightly prominent eyebrows; yellow flesh.
- Sprouts: ovoid; red-violet; base strongly pubescent, moderately pigmented; tip moderately pubescent, moderately pigmented, semi-closed habit.
High yielding variety of attractive appearance. Good resistance to hollow heart and brown center. Good resistance to plant injury from post emergence application of Metribuzin and other herbicides registered for use on potatoes. Short dormancy period. Medium to high specific gravity.
TX1523-1RUY is marketed under the trademarked name "Sierra Gold".
- Utilization: good for boiling, baking, chipping and french frying; very good for microwaving.
- Chief Market: specialty and gourmet market.
Reaction to Diseases
Highly resistant: common scab.
Moderately susceptible: late blight on tubers, rhizoctonia.
Susceptible: leafroll, PVX , PVY, late blight on foliage.
NOTE: this variety appears to be latent for leafroll symptoms expression.
References: 1, 8.
Send us your comments regarding potato variety descriptions.
- Date modified: