Official Seed Tags
This page is part of the Guidance Document Repository (GDR).
Looking for related documents?
Search for related documents in the Guidance Document Repository
An Official Tag is a label that is either "issued" or "approved" by the CFIA. An Official Tag is "approved" when the CFIA receives, reviews and approves an application submitted by a Registered Seed Establishment (RSE) for the printing of Official Tags. The RSE must complete and submit the application entitled "Request Form for the Grant of a Licence to Print Official Seed Tags and Resulting Licence Agreement Terms and Conditions" to seek approval from the CFIA for printing Official Tags. The RSE must receive a written approval from the CFIA prior to printing Official Tags. If RSE does not meet the application requirement, CFIA may reject an application made by the RSE for the printing of Official Tags.
Request Form for the Grant of a License to Print Official Seed Tag and Resulting Licence Agreement Terms and Conditions
Registered Seed Establishments (RSEs) registered under Part IV (Registration of Establishments that Prepare Seed and the Licensing of Operators) of the Seeds Regulations can apply for and receive approval from the CFIA to print "Official Seed Tags".
Approval to print "Official Seed Tags" is only granted to Registered Seed Establishments. Establishments not registered under Part IV of the Seeds Regulations will not receive approval from the CFIA to print "Official Seed Tags".
The tags or facsimile of the tags can be printed on bags. The material on which the "Official Seed Tags" are printed must be durable and tear resistant.
The Request Form for the Grant of a Licence to Print Official Seed Tag and Resulting Licence Agreement Terms and Conditions can be obtained by contacting your nearest CFIA office. Official Seed Tags" can also be obtained (if available) from CFIA District/Regional offices.
Businesses operating as printers will not receive approval from the CFIA to print "Official Seed Tags". Advertising for the printing of "Official Seed Tags" in any form or media is not permitted.
Canadian Interagency Certified Tag
"Interagency certification" means two or more official certifying agencies participating in performing the services required to certify a seed lot. An "interagency certification tag" according to the Seeds Regulations is an official tag that indicates seed that is certified by an official certifying agency and is graded with a Canada pedigreed grade name.
Please note that:
- All imported seed labelled with a Canada Certified grade name requires the blue interagency certified tag (CFIA/ACIA 5627). The blue interagency certified tag is to be used only for a single crop kind.
- Foundation and Registered class of seed will continue to use the white interagency tag (CFIA/ACIA 0034)
- The green coloured certified mixture tag (CFIA/ACIA 0038) should be used for Canada Certified seed mixture (a mixture consists of two or more crop kinds or species).
- The orange unregistered variety tag (CFIA/ACIA 0039) should be applied to imported seed of an unregistered variety that is graded with a Canada pedigreed grade name.
Imported Certified seed will continue to be exempt from the requirement to use an interagency tag if the seed package:
- bears a label issued or approved by an official certifying agency,
- is of Certified class, and
- the Canada Certified grade name and accredited grader number appear on the package.
Registred seed establishments can print the blue tag once the CFIA receives a written request for printing additional tags and an amendment to the licence agreement has been issued.
- Date modified: