Canada's Variety Registration system is being modernized to support innovation, improve competitiveness, and develop new markets in the crop production sector. Learn more about crop variety registration modernization.
The purpose of variety registration is to provide government oversight to ensure that health and safety requirements are met and that information related to the identity of the variety is available to regulators to prevent fraud. It also facilitates seed certification, the international trade of seed and the tracking and tracing of varieties in commercial channels. This oversight is under the authority of the Seeds Act and Seed Regulations (Part III and Schedule III)
What information is available?
- Notice to industry: The government of Canada releases the Model Operating Procedures for Recommending Committees
- Notice to industry – The Government of Canada provides greater access to crop variety information
- CFIA Recognized Crop Specific Recommending Committees in Canada- Contact information
- Procedures for the Registration of Crop Varieties
- Questions and Answers: use of variety names, import and sale of unregistered varieties
- Multiplication of Seed Abroad - Questions and Answers
- Registered Varieties and Cancellations from the Variety Registration Office
- Seed Program Modernization
Additional government and industry information
- Date modified: