Archived - Blended wine labelling consultation
This page has been archived
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or record-keeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is consulting with consumers and industry stakeholders on a proposed change to the way that wine blended in Canada is labelled.
The Food and Drug Regulations currently require that the country of origin be declared and clearly indicated on wine labels.
In 1994, as an interim measure for blended wine labelling, the statement "Cellared in Canada by (naming the company), from imported and/or domestic wines" was permitted for use as the country of origin label statement for a mix of imported and domestic wines blended in Canada.
The CFIA has heard that this "Cellared in Canada" statement is not informative and potentially misleading to consumers.
New statements have been proposed to replace "Cellared in Canada". These statements are intended to provide consumers with the information they need to make an informed purchasing decision.
Proposed new statements:
Primarily imported wines: "International blend from imported and domestic wines"
Primarily domestic wines: "International blend from domestic and imported wines"
Your opinion is important to us.
- Complete the online survey – available until June 30, 2017.
If you have any questions, please contact CFIA-Modernisation-ACIA@inspection.gc.ca.
To stay informed, we encourage you to sign up to receive email notifications on CFIA labelling updates.
- Summary Report on the Blended in Canada Wine Labelling Consultation
- Questions and answers – Blended in Canada wine labelling consultation
- Notice to Industry – Update on the Blended in Canada wine labelling consultation
- Notice to Industry – Blended wine labelling consultation
- Labelling Requirements for Alcoholic Beverages
- Product Specific Information for Wine
- Date modified: