Archived - Consultation on amendments to Health of Animals Regulations (humane transportation)
This page has been archived
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or record-keeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
The consultation closed on February 15, 2017. For further information, please see the What we heard report - Consultation on proposed amendments to Canada's Health of Animals Regulations Part XII: Transportation of Animals
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is consulting with the public on proposed amendments to the Health of Animals Regulations regarding humane transportation. The amendments appeared in the Canada Gazette, Part I on December 3, 2016 and will be open for 75 days. It will end on February 15, 2017.
The changes are intended to:
- Provide clarification by adding definitions (for example, definitions for compromised and unfit animals) and establish clear end results for industry and transporters to better understand what is required;
- Reduce the time intervals that animals in transport can be without access to food, water and rest;
- Establish clear end results that better reflect animals' needs and current industry practices; and
- Better align with Canada's international trading partners and the OIE animal welfare standards for animals transported by land, air, and sea.
We are striving for new regulations that balance the needs of animals during transport, the realities of transporting animals in Canada and public concern for the health and well-being of animals.
You can review a background document that explains what changes are being proposed: Canada Gazette, Part I. Comments should be directed to:
Dr. Cornelius F. Kiley
Animal Welfare, Biosecurity and Assurance Programs Section
Canadian Food Inspection Agency
3rd Floor West, Room 231
59 Camelot Drive
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0Y9
- Health of Animals Regulations: Part XII: Transportation of Animals-Regulatory Amendment – Interpretive Guidance for Regulated Parties
- Live Animals Regulations: 42/Edition-IATA
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: