Language selection



The Canadian Food Inspection Agency website is currently experiencing intermittent outages.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and would like to thank you for your cooperation.

Chapter 6 – Export to Mexico
6.1 General requirements (updated November 2014)

This page is part of the Guidance Document Repository (GDR).

Looking for related documents?
Search for related documents in the Guidance Document Repository

General requirements

1. Livestock, semen, and embryos imported into Mexico require a "hoja de requisitos zoosanitarios" (HRZ) or list of requirements and statements that Canada's veterinary health certificate must include. This condition is similar to an import permit and, on occasion, the requirements change without notification to Canada. Exporters should verify that the requirement for an importer to obtain the "hoja de requisitos" has been met and that the conditions listed in that document are satisfied by Canada's export certificate.

2. Trucks transporting swine or horses for export from Canada to Mexico through the U.S. usually will be sealed at the U.S. port of entry, and the seals will be removed at the port of entry into Mexico. However, trucks transporting cattle must be sealed with official CFIA seals at the farm of origin in Canada. The official seals must be applied by an accredited veterinarian or a technician designated as an inspector pursuant to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency Act, for the limited purposes of the Health of Animals Act. This designation allows only the accredited veterinarian or their technician to affix the seals. Removal of these official seals must be pre-authorized by a CFIA inspector.

3. All inspections must be made by an accredited veterinarian authorized by the Accredited Veterinarian Agreement, and every animal must meet each of the conditions required for their export to Mexico.

4. It is up to the exporter or Mexican importer to apply for an in-transit permit from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and arrange for feed and rest stations on trips of long duration. Livestock inspected and certified for export to Mexico are not required to be certified for export to the U.S. They are considered to be "in transit" only, and can cross the U.S. with their Mexican certificate and an in-transit permit from the USDA. However, if the animals are not certified for export to the U.S. and a problem arises at the Mexican border, they would not be allowed to remain in the U.S. except for the purpose of immediate slaughter. In this situation, the animals could also be returned to Canada.

5. In completing the health certificate to export swine to Mexico, "port of departure" refers to the Canadian port from which animals leave Canada. "Destination" is the Mexican destination provided by the Canadian exporter.

6. Mexican authorities do not accept hand written certificates. The certificate must be typed, including the reference number. Fillable PDF certificates to Mexico are available from the CFIA district office. Please contact your district office for more information.

7. The export certification is considered complete and valid only when it has been endorsed and stamped with the official export stamp by a CFIA veterinary inspector. The veterinary inspector is usually the district veterinarian responsible for the area in which the herd of origin is located or another veterinary inspector if prior arrangements have been made.

8. The period of time that an export certificate remains valid is based not only on the date that the completed certificate is endorsed, but also on the actual date that the inspections, treatments or tests were performed.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: