Procedures and Requirements for Avians Imported into Canada from Countries with Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD)
This page is part of the Guidance Document Repository (GDR).
Looking for related documents?
Search for related documents in the Guidance Document Repository
The following additional procedures apply to avians being imported into Canada from countries with FMD. All existing import requirements for avians from those countries must also be met. These requirements can be found on our website:
The following activities must be performed under CFIA supervision.
- CFIA staff are asked to be vigilant about ensuring compliance with the requirement that the requirement that shipments be accompanied by a declaration from the shipper, stating that the crates and containers used during transportation to Canada are new and clean is certified.
- CFIA staff are also asked to be vigilant about ensuring compliance with the requirement for routing approval that says "Written approval for routing of the shipment of animals through another country must be attached to the permit and accompany the shipment. With the exception of changing planes, animals or germplasm must not be off loaded at any port of call en route".
- The carrier and/or broker shall also make arrangements to dispose of excess feed, hay and straw, and manure aboard the aircraft. These materials may be placed in bags for incineration.
- The avians must not come in contact with any other animals during the quarantine period.
- Before leaving the quarantine site, empty crates and transportation vehicles should be cleaned and disinfected with an approved disinfectant. The carrier, broker, agent, or owner is required to provide for cleaning and disinfection of transport vehicles and crates.
Approved disinfectants include:
Virkon© (powder) is an oxidising agent and an excellent disinfectant active against all virus families. The recommended dilution rate is 20g/litre, with a contact time of 10 minutes.
Citric acid (powder) is an acid based disinfectant that is safe for clothes and body decontamination. Especially useful for FMD virus decontamination. The recommended dilution rate is 2g/litre, with a contact time of 30 minutes.
Diluted vinegar can also be used (a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water).
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: