Emerald Ash Borer Regulated Articles

The movement of regulated ash articles and firewood poses the greatest risk of spreading the emerald ash borer (EAB) to non-regulated areas. To reduce this risk, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) regulates the movement of articles made of ash and firewood of all species to prevent the spread of EAB from a regulated area.

EAB Regulated Articles

Movement of any ash tree article from a regulated area or property with a prohibition of movement without the consent of the CFIA is prohibited. Ash tree articles include:

  • ash trees (whole or parts)
  • ash nursery stock
  • ash logs and branches
  • ash lumber
  • wood packaging materials with an ash component
  • ash wood or bark
  • ash wood chips or bark chips
  • firewood from all tree species

Transporting regulated articles

EAB regulated articles moving out of a regulated area must be accompanied by a Movement Certificate issued by the CFIA.

All vehicles used to transport regulated articles must be cleaned of debris prior to loading at origin and prior to departure from the receiving facility. The required treatment will depend upon the regulated article transported, but may include sweeping or power washing.

For more information about transporting regulated articles, contact your local CFIA office.


Firewood is one way for emerald ash borer to spread. Moving ash firewood out of a regulated area is prohibited, whether for commercial or private purposes (such as taking firewood to the cottage or camping). Non-ash firewood can only be moved out of a regulated area by facilities registered under the Emerald Ash Borer Approved Facility Compliance Program (EABAFCP).

Learn more about the impact of moving firewood.

Tree trimmings and yard waste

Movement of yard waste outside of regulated areas is also prohibited, as it may contain ash tree bark, branches or trimmings.

Municipalities with EAB infestations may have established special procedures for handling yard waste from regulated areas. Contact your municipality for the latest information on disposal of regulated yard waste. If you live in a regulated area or have been issued a Notice of Prohibition of Movement, please contact your local government for more information on what to do with any yard waste.