Labelling requirements for meat and poultry products
Means a food that because of its nature cannot normally be portioned to a predetermined fixed quantity and is, as a result, usually sold in containers of varying quantities [1, SFCR].
In respect of an item of information that is shown on a label, means immediately adjacent to the item of information and without any intervening printed, written or graphic material [1, SFCR].
In respect of a food, means packaged in a container in the manner in which the food is ordinarily sold to or used or purchased by an individual – or in which the food may reasonably be expected to be obtained by an individual – without being repackaged to be used for non-commercial purposes [1, SFCR].
Extended meat product
Means a meat product to which a meat product extender has been added [B.01.001(1), FDR].
Extended poultry product
Means a poultry product to which a poultry product extender has been added [B.01.001(1), FDR].
Means milk, egg, yeast or any vegetable material or any derivative or combination thereof that is edible and that is not visibly distinguishable after addition to the meat product. This includes the addition of seasoning to meat if the seasoning contributes more than 1% of the protein content in the finished meat product but does not include beetroot, tomato or a food additive with the exception of modified starches [1, 23(c), Canadian Standards of Identity, Volume 7 – Meat Products; B.14.001, FDR].
Includes a WTO Member as defined in subsection 2(1) of the World Trade Organization Agreement Implementation Act [1, SFCR].
Means gelatin, agar and carrageenan [1, Canadian Standards of Identity, Volume 7 – Meat Products; B.01.001(1), FDR].
Means a person designated as a grader under subsection 13(3) of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency Act for the purposes of the Act [304, SFCR].
Under the SFCA, grade name means a prescribed name, mark or designation of a food commodity [2, SFCA].
The SFCR further specify that, for the purposes of this definition, the grade names that are set out in the Compendium and in the Grades Document are prescribed in respect of foods [305, SFCR].
Means a mark that is applied to a livestock carcass and that shows the grade name and the grader's code [304, SFCR].
Hermetically sealed package
Means a package that, due to its design, is secure against the entry of micro-organisms, including spores [1, SFCR].
The term "insignificant quantity" is not specifically defined in the Safe Food for Canadians Act or in the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations. The term is used in the definition of meat product. In that context, the following foods are not considered a meat product as they include an insignificant quantity of meat:
- pork and beans
- traditional bakery products including plum pudding (Note: does not include bakery products with a meat topping or filling)
- salad dressings
- dairy-based dip
- cheese containing 3% or less of added meat product provided:
- the meat utilized in the cheese originates from a licence holder or its foreign equivalent
- a statement on the label of the cheese reflects the origin of the meat product, and
- the cheese containing the meat product was prepared by a licence holder or its foreign equivalent
- foods, other than meat products, fried in animal fat
- potato-based foods such as perogies containing not more than 3% meat products
- flavouring and seasoning preparations
- fish products in which the only meat product is rendered animal fat
- capsules, tablets and retail size containers of liquid and powder-concentrates, containing meat or meat by-products, that are intended and labelled for sale as pharmaceuticals or pseudopharmaceuticals rather than as food products
- foods containing 2% meat product or less other than potato-based foods mentioned above, calculated on the basis of the cooked weight of the meat product
Means a beef carcass, bison carcass, ovine carcass or veal carcass [1, SFCR].
Means the edible part of a carcass that is the muscle associated with the skeleton, tongue, diaphragm, heart, gizzard or mammalian oesophagus, with or without accompanying and overlying fat, together with those parts of the bones, skin, sinews, nerves, blood vessels and other tissues that normally accompany the muscle and are not ordinarily removed in dressing a carcass, but does not include the muscle associated with the lips, snout, scalp or ears, mechanically separated meat or meat to which an ingredient other than meat has been added [1, Canadian Standards of Identity, Volume 7 – Meat Products].
Means the edible blood of a food animal or an edible organ or tissue that is derived from the carcass of a food animal. It does not include meat, finely textured meat or mechanically separated meat [1, Canadian Standards of Identity, Volume 7 – Meat Products].
Under the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations, means the carcass of a food animal, the blood of a food animal, or a product or by-product of its carcass or any food that contains the blood of a food animal or a product or by-product of its carcass. It does not include:
- gelatin, bone meal, collagen casing, hydrolyzed animal protein, monoglycerides, diglycerides or fatty acids, or
- any food that contains a meat product in an insignificant quantity (definition), having regard to the nature of the food and of the meat product [1, SFCR]
Under the Food and Drug Regulations, means meat, meat by-product, prepared meat or prepared meat by-product [B.01.001(1), FDR].
Meat product extender
Means a food that is a source of protein and that is represented as being for the purpose of extending meat products [1, Canadian Standards of Identity, Volume 7 – Meat Products; B.01.001(1), FDR].
Means the carcass of a slaughtered ovine animal that has a carcass weight of 13.5 kg or more and that has had the following removed, namely,
- (a) the pelt
- (b) that portion of the head and neck forward of the first cervical vertebra
- (c) that portion of the hind leg below the metatarso-phalangeal (ankle) joint
- (d) the respiratory, digestive, reproductive and urinary systems and the thoracic and abdominal organs
- (e) the membranous portion of the diaphragm
- (f) the heart fat and scrotal or udder fat
- (g) the tail posterior to the third coccygeal vertebra, and
- (h) any portion of the carcass the removal of which is required for pathological reasons [304, SFCR; 1, Compendium, Volume 1 – Ovine Carcasses and Poultry Carcasses]
Person means an individual or an organization as defined in section 2 of the Criminal Code [2, FDA; 2, SFCA].
A person may therefore be an individual or an organization, and may include a consumer, a manufacturer, a retailer, an importer, a restaurant, any other commercial or industrial enterprise, an institution such as a school or hospital, and anyone else who sells, uses, or buys a food.
Means the carcass of a turkey, duck, goose, guinea fowl or bird of the species Gallus domesticus [1, SFCR].
Under the Food and Drug Regulations, means poultry meat, prepared poultry meat, poultry meat by-product or prepared poultry meat by-product [B.01.001(1), FDR].
Under the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations, poultry product is included in the term meat product (definition).
Poultry product extender
Means a food that is a source of protein and that is represented as being for the purpose of extending poultry products [1, Canadian Standards of Identity, Volume 7 – Meat Products; B.01.001(1), FDR].
In respect of a food, means packaged in a container in the manner in which the food is ordinarily sold to or used or purchased by a person (definition), and includes consumer prepackaged (definition) [1, SFCR].
Primal cut means,
- (a) in the case of a beef carcass or bison carcass, means the round, sirloin, short loin, rib or chuck of the carcass side; and
- (b) in the case of an ovine carcass or veal carcass, means the leg, loin or foresaddle of the carcass side [304, SFCR]
In respect of an edible meat product, means that it has been subjected to a treatment or process that is sufficient to inactivate vegetative pathogenic micro-organisms or their toxins and control spores of food-borne pathogenic bacteria so that the meat product does not require further preparing before consumption except washing or thawing or exposing it to sufficient heat to warm it without cooking it [1, SFCR].
Means the mark applied to a beef carcass that shows the grade name and the number that is assigned to the establishment where the livestock carcass is graded [304, SFCR].
Simulated meat product
Any food that does not contain any meat product, poultry product or fish product but that has the appearance of a meat product [B.01.001(1), FDR].
Simulated poultry product
Any food that does not contain any poultry product, meat product or fish product but that has the appearance of a poultry product [B.01.001(1), FDR].
Solid cut meat
An edible meat product consisting of either a solid piece of meat or containing at least 80% of boneless skinless meat in pieces weighing 25 g or more [B.14.020, FDR].
Means a cut of meat that is greater than 125 cm3 and that is derived from a beef carcass or a primal cut of a beef carcass [304, SFCR].
Means the mark that is made on a beef carcass by a grade stamp applicator that shows the yield class of the carcass and the grade stamp code, and is in the outline of a triangle as set out in Schedule V of the Grades Document [304, SFCR; 1.0, Grades Document – PDF (260 kb)].
Means, in respect of a lamb carcass, the mark that is made on the lamb carcass by a grade stamp applicator that shows the yield class of the carcass and the grader's code and is in the outline of a triangle, as set out in Schedule 4 – Lamb Carcass Yield Stamp of the Canadian Grade Compendium, Volume 1 [304, SFCR; Compendium, Volume 1 – Ovine Carcasses and Poultry Carcasses].
- Date modified: