Comparative nutrient content claims
Example: steps for evaluating "reduced in fat"
See item c) of the Summary Table for Fat Claims (item 13 of the table following B.01.513), "Reduced in fat", to evaluate the claim: "30% lower in fat than our regular granola bar"
- the "lower in fat" granola bar must have a minimum of 25% less fat than the similar reference food (i.e., the regular granola bar); and
- the similar reference food (i.e., the regular granola bar), must not qualify as "low in fat".
- the "similar reference food" (e.g., the regular granola bar) must be identified;
- the amounts of the food being compared must be stated, unless they are the same; and
- the difference must be expressed per serving of stated size (as a percentage, a fraction or in grams).
For more examples on identifying the validity of a claim, please refer to Nutrient Content Claim Examples.
- Date modified: