Language selection


Food Imports

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) is responsible for the initial import inspection of food, agricultural inputs and agricultural products. The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) sets the policies and regulations for these imports, which are enforced by CBSA at Canadian entry points.


The Safe Food for Canadians Regulations come into effect on January 15, 2019.

Important Notice: Declaring Imports to the CBSA

Those who declare imports electronically to the CBSA should have completed testing and became certified to transmit their import declarations through the Integrated Import Declaration (IID) by January 1, 2019. If you have not already, learn how to become certified today.

Programs and services for commercial importers

The CFIA regulates the imports of food products. Additional information is available on products such as:

CFIA assessments and audits of other countries

Information for travellers

Travellers are required, by law, to declare all plant, animal, and food items they bring into Canada. For more information visit What Can I Bring Into Canada?

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: