Key preventive food safety controls
Although the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations (SFCR) came into force on January 15, 2019, certain requirements are being phased in over the following 12 to 30 months. For more information, refer to the SFCR timelines.
PDF (57 kb)
Click on image for larger view
Keeping food safe
The following are considered to be international best practices to identify and correct food safety issues early in the production process.
- Knowledge: Are they trained in food handling and safety?
- Hygiene: Do they wear appropriate protective clothing and practice good hygiene?
- Health: Are they healthy while on the job?
- Commitment: Is food safety a top priority for management?
- Handling: How do you receive, store and load food? What are the controls at every step?
- Maintenance: Is your establishment in good condition? Is your facility well-constructed and maintained, inside and out?
- Equipment & Flow: Are all tools and containers well maintained and safe for food preparation? Is food moved safely from one point to another?
- Clean: Is everything sanitary and free of pests?
- Processes: Is there an understanding of hazards when treating, preparing and packaging food?
- Complaints: Do you have procedures for receiving, investigating and responding to complaints and recalling unsafe food?
- Recalls: Do you have procedures to effectively recall unsafe food?
Your Preventive Control Plan:
- Food safety: Does your Preventive Control Plan (PCP) describe the risks to food, and if applicable food animals, including how they are controlled?
- Other requirements: Does your PCP describe the measures to take to meet other regulatory requirements for grades, standards, packaging and labelling?
Tip: Check out the following guidance material:
- Regulatory requirements: Preventive controls
- Regulatory requirements: Preventive control plan
- Step-by-Step Guide for Domestic Food Businesses and Exporters: Preparing a Preventive Control Plan
- A guide for preparing a preventive control plan – for importers
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: