The Safe Food for Canadians Regulations: What small businesses need to know
The Safe Food for Canadians Regulations are now in force. The regulations introduce modern food safety requirements for food businesses that import food, or prepare food in Canada for export or interprovincial trade.
What small businesses need to do
Use the toolkit for food businesses to find out:
- if you need a Safe food for Canadians Licence
- when the new requirements apply to you – some small businesses may have more time to meet certain requirements
Make sure you have the following before you apply for a licence:
- preventive controls such as sanitation and pest control measures, and in some cases a documented preventive control plan that details the hazards to your food and the measures you are taking to control them
- traceability records that track your products one step forward and one step back in the supply chain
Create a My CFIA account and apply for a licence online.
Support for small businesses
- Visit Safe food for Canadians for more information, tools and resources on the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations
- Have questions? Call us at 1-800-442-2342 or Contact the CFIA.
- Stay connected
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: