Report a Food Safety or Labelling Concern
In Canada, responsibility for food safety is shared between the federal government and provincial health units or provincial departments.
The information below will help you find the correct department to report your complaint or concern.
You should see a doctor as soon as possible if you think you have a foodborne illness.
What is your food safety complaint or concern?
1. Restaurant and food service conditions
This includes concerns or complaints about dirty restaurants, bad food handling practices, the actions of cooks and food servers, adverse reactions or illness from the food.
2. Grocery store or retail food conditions
This includes concerns or complaints about issues like dirty stores, sightings of mice or insects, bad food handling practices or the actions of store staff.
Note: The CFIA does not handle concerns of the quality of food being sold in stores. These concerns should normally be directed to the store where the product was purchased. Some example of quality concerns include:
- Decayed fruits and vegetables
- Stale or mouldy food
- Food being sold after a best before date
3. Safety or quality of a food product
This includes concerns about the safety of all food products such as:
- Suspected food poisoning from a food purchased at a retail store
- Allergic reactions to food where ingredients may not be listed
- Unusual object such as metal, glass or hair is found in food
- Food contaminated by bacteria, viruses or parasites
- Recalled food products being sold
These concerns should be reported to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency except in Quebec where the Ministère de l'Agriculture, des Pêcheries et de l'Alimentation du Québec is the lead organization for all consumer concerns.
4. Food labelling
Concerns about the labelling of prepackaged foods, should be reported to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency except in Quebec where the Ministère de l'Agriculture, des Pêcheries et de l'Alimentation du Québec is the lead organization for all consumer concerns.
- Date modified: