Due to maintenance, this website may be temporarily unavailable January 17 from 2 am to 7 am (EST).
National Import Service Centre
On August 17, 2020, the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) will decommission the legacy Other Government Department (OGD) release service options, Other Government Department (OGD) Pre-Arrival Review System (PARS) and the OGD Release on Minimum Documentation (RMD). See CBSA's Customs Notice.
Effective December 14, 2020, where the IID is not available, The National Import Service Centre (NISC) will accept paper declarations via email at email@example.com. The email address for correspondence must be indicated on the Request for Documentation Review (5272) Form. Submissions larger than 20 MB in size can be faxed to 613-773-9999.
As part of its commitment to improving service for clients, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA), in cooperation with the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA), operates the National Import Service Centre (NISC).
What the National Import Service Centre does
The National Import Service Centre processes import request documentation / data sent by the importing community across Canada. Staff review the information and return the decision electronically to the CBSA, which then relays it to the client or the broker/importer.
In addition, NISC staff handle inquiries regarding import requirements for all commodities regulated by the CFIA and, when necessary, coordinate inspections for import shipments.
Hours of operation: 7 am to 3 am (Eastern Standard Time)
Telephone: 1-800-835-4486 or 1-877-493-0468 (Canada or U.S.A.) | 1-289-247-4099 (Local calls and all other countries)
Telephones are not monitored on weekends (Friday 11 pm EST to Monday 7 am EST) or statutory holidays (6 pm EST the preceding day to 7 am the following day). During these periods, the NISC can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Statutory holidays (2021):
- New Year's Day: Friday, January 1, 2021
- Good Friday: Friday, April 2, 2021
- Easter Monday: Monday, April 5, 2021
- Victoria Day: Monday, May 24, 2021
- Canada Day: Thursday, July 1, 2021
- Civic Holiday: Monday, August 2, 2021
- Labour Day: Monday, September 6, 2021
- Thanksgiving: Monday, October 11, 2021
- Remembrance Day: Thursday, November 11, 2021
- Christmas Day: Saturday, December 25, 2021
- Boxing Day: Sunday, December 26, 2021
Submissions larger than 20 MB in size: Facsimile: 1-613-773-9999
Integrated Import Declaration (IID) status
All importers and customs brokers are expected to now be only using the IID channel when declaring CFIA regulated goods to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). If you are experiencing issues in transitioning please contact email@example.com for additional support. Delaying your transition to full usage of the IID channel could lead to longer wait times when it comes to clearing your shipments, as our resources are now focused on supporting the improved declaration process.
- Notice to industry (2020-03-18): Changes to declaring non-commercial shipments containing CFIA regulated goods to the CBSA
- Notice to industry (2019-03-29): Reminder: It's time to start using the integrated import declaration
- Notice to industry (2019-03-28): Testing and certification for the Integrated Import Declaration (IID)
- Notice to industry (2019-01-07): Service change for commercial importers or brokers who declare CFIA regulated imports to the CBSA
- Declaring CFIA regulated goods as Canadian Goods Returning
- Fact sheet: Single Window Initiative: Integrated Import Declaration
- Understanding a reject message sent through the Integrated Import Declaration (IID)
CFIA programs and services
- Automated Import Reference System (AIRS)
- Automated Shipment Inspection Status Search Tool (ASISST)
- AIRS Verification Service
Import related codes
- IID Government Agency Qualifier codes
- AIRS End Use Code
- AIRS Miscellaneous Code
- CFIA AIRS Registration Types
- Date modified: