Although the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations (SFCR) came into force on January 15, 2019, certain requirements may apply in 2020 and 2021 based on food commodity, type of activity and business size. For more information, refer to the SFCR timelines.
Under the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations (SFCR), any food, seed, or animal feed that is labelled organic is regulated by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA).
Commodities such as cannabis plants and their cultivation, cosmetics, pet food, and natural health products are outside the scope of the Canada Organic Regime overseen by the CFIA. Products that are excluded from the scope cannot be certified under the Canada Organic Regime and cannot bear the Canada Organic Logo.
Compliance with Part 13 organic products of the SFCR is required if the product:
- has an organic claim on the label and is sold between provinces or territories or imported; or
- displays the Canada Organic Logo on the label and is sold within or outside of Canada.
Under Part 13 of the SFCR, products must be certified as organic according to the Canadian Organic Standards. The SFCR also outlines the organic certification system known as the Canada Organic Regime. The purpose of the Canada Organic Regime is to regulate all parties involved in the certification of organic products (including operators, Certification Bodies and Conformity Verification Bodies) and to verify all applicable regulatory requirements, standards and guidance documents are being met.
Sign up for email notifications to get updates about the Canada Organic Regime and organic products requirements.
Know the requirements
- Canada Organic Regime operating manual
- Canadian organic standards
- Guidance documents
- Incorporating organic import requirements into AIRS
- Organic aquaculture products
- Organic claims
- Organic standards interpretation committee
- Cancelled accreditation of certification bodies
- Cancelled organic certifications
- Certification bodies
- Chemical residues and organic production
- Conformity verification bodies
- Equivalency arrangements under the Canada Organic Regime
- File a complaint related to the Canada Organic Regime
- Notice to the Canadian organic industry regarding implementation of the Canada Organic Regime during COVID-19 situation - 2020-03-24
- Regulating organic products in Canada
- Technical advisory committee - PDF (69 kb)
- Want to buy organic food?
- Canada Organic Trade Association
- Contact the Canada Organic Regime Team
- Organic agriculture centre of Canada
- Organic federation of Canada – questions and answers
- Date modified: