Due to maintenance, this website may be temporarily unavailable January 17 from 2 am to 7 am (EST).
Asian longhorned beetle – Anoplophora glabripennis
The Asian longhorned beetle (ALHB) has been eradicated from the cities of Mississauga and Toronto in the province of Ontario. This was the only known population of ALHB in Canada. ALHB is a highly destructive wood-boring pest of maples and other hardwood trees including poplar, birch and willow. It was discovered in the cities of Mississauga and Toronto in August 2013. ALHB is native to Asia and can spreads through transport of infested wood products including firewood.
After 5 years of surveys with no detection of this plant pest, the Asian Long-horned Beetle Infested Place Order has been repealed effective June 9, 2020. The movement of firewood and host tree materials will no longer be restricted, however it is important to remember that one of the most common ways pests travel is by hitching a ride in firewood. It is always recommended to buy and burn wood locally.
There are several native Canadian insects (White spotted Sawyer beetle, Monochamus scutellatus, Western Conifer Seed Bug, Leptoglossus occidentalis, Banded Alder Beetle, Rosalia funebris) which look similar to the Asian longhorned beetle.
Acts and regulations we enforce
- Plant Protection Act
- Plant Protection Regulations
- Asian Long-horned Beetle Compensation Regulations (formerly the Introduced Forest Pest Compensation Regulations)
Information we provide to the general public
- Pest fact sheet
- Don't move firewood
- Preferred host trees
- Questions and answers
- Signs of infestation
- An unwanted invasive species
- An unwanted invasive species (bilingual sign)
- News release – Asian longhorned beetle declared eradicated in the cities of Mississauga and Toronto
- Compensation available to property owners to assist with tree replanting efforts
Information we provide to the plant industry and scientific community
Notice to industry
- European Union adopts new phytosanitary requirements for the export of wood from host species of the Asian longhorned beetle (ALHB)
- D-11-05: Phytosanitary Requirements for Non-Manufactured and Non-Propagative Wood Products to Prevent the Introduction from the Continental United States and Spread Within Canada of the Asian Longhorned Beetle, Anoplophora glabripennis (Motschulsky)
- D-11-01: Phytosanitary Requirements for Plants for Planting and Fresh Branches to Prevent the Entry and Spread of Anoplophora spp.
- D-08-04: Plant protection import requirements for plants and plant parts for planting
- D-02-12: Phytosanitary import requirements for non-processed wood and other wooden products, bamboo and bamboo products, originating from all areas other than the continental United States
- D-98-08: Entry Requirements for Wood Packaging Material into Canada
- Date modified: