This page is part of the Guidance Document Repository (GDR).
Looking for related documents?
Search for related documents in the Guidance Document Repository
PDF (36 kb)
Pictures - PDF (241 kb)
Click on Image for Larger View
- Origin & Breeding: bred by Robert L. Plaisted, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, from a cross made in 1986 between Steuben and bulk pollen from clones that were neotuberosum x tuberosum hybrids. Most of the clones were considered resistant to PVY and golden nematode Ro1.
- Year registered in Canada: 2010
- Registration number: 6783
- Maturity: mid-season
- Plants: medium height, semi-erect; stems weakly pigmented; prominent waived single wings; nodes swollen.
- Leaves: medium green, closed; midribs and petioles not pigmented.
Terminal leaflets: ovate; tip cuspidate; base obtuse.
Primary leaflets: three pairs; ovate; tip cuspidate; base cordate.
- Flowers: medium frequency, corolla white on both surfaces, medium size; orange anthers; flower buds weakly pigmented; calyxes and peduncles light green.
- Tubers: round to slightly oval; smooth white skin; shallow eyes, predominantly apical; white flesh.
- Sprouts: spherical; red-violet; base moderately pubescent, strongly pigmented; tip weakly pubescent, weakly pigmented, closed habit.
Medium yielding variety of very attractive appearance; well shaped and uniform sized tubers; good resistance to internal defects such as hollow heart and internal necrosis. Long dormancy period; good storage capability. High specific gravity.
Remark: pre-cutting or warming seed is recommended.
- Utilization: good for boiling and baking, acceptable chip color; slight darkening after boiling (similar to Superior).
- Chief Markets: fresh market and chips.
Reaction to Diseases
Resistant: golden nematode (Globodera rostochiensis Ro1).
Highly resistant: PVX, PVY.
Moderately resistant: early blight, corky ringspot (Tobacco rattle virus symptoms), powdery scab.
Moderately susceptible: common scab.
Susceptible: late blight.
References: 1, 8.
Send your comments to email@example.com regarding potato variety descriptions.
- Date modified: