This page is part of the Guidance Document Repository (GDR).
Looking for related documents?
Search for related documents in the Guidance Document Repository
PDF (85 kb)
Click on Image for Larger View
- Origin & Breeding: bred by John Clarke from the cross (Wasseon x Maris Piper) in Ballycastle (Northern Ireland) in 1972.
- Year registered in Canada: 1999
- Registration number: 4879
- Maturity: mid-season
- Plants: medium size; semi-erect; stems weakly pigmented; medium to strongly prominent wings, waved single; nodes not swollen, weakly pigmented.
- Leaves: dark green, long, slightly glossy, closed; midribs and petioles very weakly to weakly pigmented.
Terminal leaflets: medium to broadly ovate; apex acuminate; base cordate to lobed and asymmetrical; medium wavy margins.
Primary leaflets: six pairs; first pair often fused with terminal leaflet; medium ovate; apex acute; base cordate and strongly asymmetrical; medium wavy margins.
Secondary leaflets: moderately numerous, large, round.
- Flowers: rare to occasional; rather large red-violet corolla with white tips; buds very strongly pigmented, weakly to moderately persistent; short peduncles weakly pigmented; no berry production.
- Tubers: round to oval; slightly rough light yellow skin; medium deep eyes, intermediate in number, predominantly apical; white flesh.
- Sprouts: spherical; blue-violet; strongly pubescent; base strongly pigmented; tip closed; not pigmented.
Medium yielding variety; moderately resistant to internal and external bruising; good storability; medium specific gravity.
- Utilization: no after cooking blackening; poor for baking and french frying; good for boiling; fair for chipping.
- Chief Market: fresh market
Reaction to Diseases
Immune: potato wart (race 1).
Resistant: golden nematode (G. rostochiensis race 1).
Highly resistant: PVA, PVX, PVY.
Moderately resistant: foliage late blight, common scab; phoma rot.
Moderately susceptible: fusarium dry rot, blackleg, leaf roll.
Susceptible: tuber late blight.
References: 1, 2, 3, 4.
Send your comments to email@example.com regarding potato variety descriptions.
- Date modified: