This page is part of the Guidance Document Repository (GDR).
Looking for related documents?
Search for related documents in the Guidance Document Repository
PDF (78 kb)
Click on Image for Larger View
- Origin & Breeding: bred by Agricultural Canada from (F53026 x F51043) and selected at the Fredericton Research Station, New Brunswick, in 1961.
- Year registered in Canada: 1976
- Registration number: 1693
- Maturity: mid-season to late
- Plants: medium large, upright with a tendency to spread; nodes not swollen; wings wavy.
- Leaves: open, moderately dull olive green, slightly pubescent.
Terminal leaflets: ovate, asymmetrical; tip acurninate.
Primary leaflets: ovate, three to six pairs.
Secondary leaflets: numerous on lower leaves, few on upper ones.
Tertiary leaflets: few.
- Flowers: white with vivid yellow anthers; pubescent green buds having purplish bases.
- Tubers: oblong to ovoid, medium-sized; smooth to slightly flaked buff skin; eyes shallow, medium-deep at the bud end, faintly purple; white flesh.
- Sprouts: moderate purplish red.
High to very high yielding variety; adapted to the muck soils of northern Ontario where it sizes early, has a minimum of hollow heart and does not bruise easily. Hollow heart and bruising are more common when grown in southern Ontario and eastern Canada (except on muck soils). Susceptible to internal heat necrosis when grown in hot soils, resistant to drought, good for the table stock market, unsuitable for processing. Stores very well. Low total glycoalkaloids and high total solids.
NOTE: selected specifically for Northern Ontario as a high yielding early sizing variety.
- Utilization: good to very good for boiling, fair to good for baking, poor for chipping and french frying.
- Chief Markets: fresh market and seed to Ontario. Export seed potential.
Reaction to Diseases
Resistant: PVX and PVY.
Moderately resistant: bacterial soft rot, black leg, late blight, leaf roll and rhizoctonia.
Susceptible: common scab and verticillium wilt.
References: 1, 6.
Send your comments to email@example.com regarding potato variety descriptions.
- Date modified: