This page is part of the Guidance Document Repository (GDR).
Looking for related documents?
Search for related documents in the Guidance Document Repository
PDF (35 kb)
Pictures - PDF (248 kb)
Click on Image for Larger View
- Origin & Breeding: bred by the North Dakota Agricultural College in 1950 from the cross (Redkote x ND 626) and selected at Langdon Branch Station, North Dakota, in 1951.
- Year registered in Canada: 1960
- Registration number: 785
- Maturity: early
- Plants: medium large, spreading; stems medium thick, prominently angled.
- Leaves: dark green, glossy, moderately close, medium large, scantly pubescent.
Terminal leaflets: broadly ovate, tip acute, base lobed and slightly asymmetrical.
Primary leaflets: ovate, three pairs.
Secondary and tertiary leaflets: numerous.
- Flowers: purple; orange anthers; green buds.
- Tubers: oblong, slightly flattened, medium thick; smooth red skin; shallow eyes; white flesh.
- Sprouts: reddish purple.
High yielding variety, adapts well to different soils. Sensitive to drought, susceptible to skinning and bruising if harvested before maturity; washes well at maturity. Stores well even though the dormancy period is short. Seldom produces tubers that are irregular in shape, knobby or growth cracked. Tubers are not subject to internal defects like hollow heart, internal necrosis and vascular discoloration. Low total solids.
Remark: avoid the herbicide Metribuzin Postemergence. Norland Dark Red, Red Norland and New Red Norland are selected clones with a darker red color.
- Utilization: very good for boiling and French frying, good for chipping (best at harvest), and fair for baking.
- Chief Markets: early fresh market and home gardens.
Reaction to Diseases
Highly resistant: PVA.
Moderately resistant: common scab, potato wart, rhizoctonia.
Susceptible: black leg, fusarium dry rot, late blight, leaf roll, phoma rot, seed-piece decay, verticillium wilt, PVX, PVY.
Highly susceptible: silver scurf.
References: 1, 6, 9.
Send your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org regarding potato variety descriptions.
- Date modified: