This page is part of the Guidance Document Repository (GDR).
Looking for related documents?
Search for related documents in the Guidance Document Repository
PDF (12 kb)
Click on Image for Larger View
- Origin & Breeding: bred from the cross (Norchip x ND860-2) and selected in 1985 by the North Dakota Agricultural Experiment Station, Fargo, North Dakota. Released in 1996.
- Year registered in Canada: 1997
- Registration number: 4625
- Maturity: mid-season
- Plants: medium, semi-erect; stems medium thick, not pigmented; prominent, single waved wings; nodes not swollen and not pigmented.
- Leaves: medium green, closed; lower surface pubescent; petioles and midribs not pigmented.
Terminal leaflets: medium ovate; apex acuminate; base asymmetrical and cordate; margins weakly wavy.
Primary leaflets: medium ovate; apex acuminate, base symmetrical and truncate; four pairs.
- Flowers: numerous, medium sized corolla, white coloured with a very prominent star; anthers orange; buds not pigmented.
- Tubers: round to oval; smooth white skin with a yellow undertone; shallow eyes, moderately numerous and evenly distributed; non prominent eyebrows; cream-white flesh.
- Sprouts: broad cylindrical, weak red-violet pigmentation on sprout base, none on the apex.
High yielding variety with medium number of tubers per plant. Wide adaptability, suitable for production on irrigated or non irrigated land. Resistant to hollow heart and blackspot. Medium dormancy period. Good storability.
REMARK: NorValley has the ability to produce commercially acceptable chips directly out of 6 °C storage without the need for reconditioning (cold-sweetening resistance).
- Utilization: good for processing into chips and dehydrated flakes; good for boiling and baking.
- Chief Markets: processing, fresh market.
Reaction to Diseases
Moderately resistant: common scab.
Susceptible: PVY, PVX, late blight, early blight, verticillium wilt, fusarium dry rot, bacterial soft rot.
Send your comments to email@example.com regarding potato variety descriptions.
- Date modified: