Preventive controls for food – Fish
Although the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations (SFCR) came into force on January 15, 2019, certain requirements may apply in 2020 and 2021 based on food commodity, type of activity and business size. For more information, refer to the SFCR timelines.
Before you access information related to preventive controls for fish, make sure you review the information on General food requirements and guidance. The Safe Food for Canadians Regulations (SFCR) set out certain requirements, such as licensing, preventive controls and traceability that apply to most food commodities.
Additional information can also be found at Food-specific requirements and guidance – Fish.
These documents provide information on select preventive control practices for operators to mitigate food safety risks associated with the processing of fish and fish products. This information is intended to inform and support the development and implementation of a preventive control plan.
- Canadian Shellfish Sanitation Program
- CFIA aquaculture therapeutant residue monitoring list
- Depuration of bivalve shellfish
- Guidance document on ready-to-eat smoked fish and multi-ingredient products containing smoked fish
- Identification, analysis and control of hazards that present a risk of contamination of live shellfish
- Information on the requirements that apply to fishers
- Maintenance and operation of a vessel
- Measures to control the risk of Vibrio parahaemolyticus (Vp) in live oysters
- Organoleptic quality of fish and fish products
- Therapeutant use in aquaculture
- The Quality Management Program approach to a preventive control plan
- Validation of preventive controls for Vibrio parahaemolyticus
- Wet storage of bivalve shellfish
Preventive controls for food businesses
Access a collection of information related to preventive controls.
Preventive control plan
Learn about the preventive control plan requirements. Find out if and when you need to have a written preventive control plan and learn how you can build and implement one.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: