Preventive controls for food – Fresh fruits or vegetables
Although the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations (SFCR) came into force on January 15, 2019, certain requirements may apply in 2020 and 2021 based on food commodity, type of activity and business size. For more information, refer to the SFCR timelines.
Before you access information related to preventive controls for fresh fruits or vegetables, make sure you review the information on General food requirements and guidance. The Safe Food for Canadians Regulations (SFCR) set out certain requirements, such as licensing, preventive controls and traceability that apply to most food commoditiess.
Additional information can also be found at Food-specific requirements and guidance – Fresh fruits or vegetables.
These documents provide information on select preventive control practices for operators to mitigate food safety risks associated with the preparation of fresh fruits or vegetables. This information is intended to inform and support the development and implementation of a preventive control plan.
- Preventive controls for the hygienic production of sprouted seeds
- Use of chlorinated wash water
- Codex Alimentarius: Code of practice for the packaging and transport of fresh fruits and vegetables (CAC/RCR 44-1995) - PDF (99 kb)
- Codex Alimentarius: Code of practice for fresh fruits and vegetables (CAC/RCP 53-2003) - PDF (538 kb)
- Annex I: Ready-to-eat fresh pre-cut fruits and vegetables
- Annex II: Sprouts
- Annex III: Fresh leafy vegetables
- Annex IV: Melons
- Annex V: Berries
Preventive controls for food businesses
Access a collection of information related to preventive controls.
Preventive control plan
Learn about the preventive control plan requirements. Find out if and when you need to have a written preventive control plan and learn how you can build and implement one.
Guidance concerning the packaging of fresh mushrooms
Learn about Health Canada's recommendations to prevent the growth of food pathogens in fresh mushrooms packaged in trays wrapped with plastic film.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: