Notice to industry – Biosecurity for Canadian Cervid Farms Producer Planning Guide
July 6, 2018 – Ottawa, ON
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) has released the Biosecurity for Canadian Cervid Farms Producer Planning Guide.
Under the Growing Forward 2 (GF2) Agricultural Policy Framework, the CFIA worked in collaboration with the Cervid Biosecurity Advisory Committee (CerBAC) which included representatives from the Canadian Cervid Alliance, provincial governments, industry organizations, producers, academia and private veterinarians, to develop this Guide.
The Guide provides strategies, best practices and planning tools to help cervid producers develop and implement farm-level biosecurity plans. The guidelines and recommendations are focused on minimizing infectious disease risks from a broad range of pathogens.
The Guide supports the voluntary National Cervid Farm-Level Biosecurity Standard that was released last year, in June 2017.
Together, the Standard and the Guide are:
- risk-based management guidelines, supported by best practices addressing disease in a broad context, and applicable to cervid operations across Canada
- outcome-based, providing producers flexibility in achieving the risk management objective
- practical and science-based, developed with consideration for the transmission of infectious pathogens across the range of cervid production systems
- a collaborative project, developed by producers, subject matter experts, advisory groups, and leaders in industry and government
Together, the Standard and Guide:
- raise awareness of biosecurity risks and the measures to reduce disease spread
- provide producers and industry with the knowledge and guidance to develop and implement biosecurity plans through a nationally consistent approach
- help to identify potential gaps in current disease reduction and control measures
- provide opportunities to strengthen the health and welfare of cervids at a farm, industry and national level
Learn more about National Biosecurity Standards and Biosecurity Principles.
- Date modified: